Do you like to watch the famous pool player from the Philippines Efren Reyes play on Television but do not have enough money to buy your pool table? Are you looking for the ultimate instruction manual which will tell you how to build a pool table on your own by spending as little cash as possible? Today I will discuss the process of making your pool table.
The methods I will share with you can be used to make good quality pool tables. You can even sell on the market but I will not be going into details about that.
Some Materials Which You Will Need to Build a Pool Table
No pool table can be made without wood. Go to your nearest shop which sells pieces of wood and asks them to give you 4 pieces of wood with the dimension 1/2 by 2 1/2. Some other tools which you will need are:-
- A simple saw to cut the wood into pieces, large or small.
- A nail gun to insert the nails.
- All pool boards require a bumper. For the homemade pool table, we will need 2 tires which are used on a motorbike. Do not take it out of your own but purchase a new one.
- Some scissors for making the correct shape needed for the pockets.
- Wool and polyester felt to cover the table with it. The felt should contain one-fourth Nylon and the rest should be made of wool.
- You do not want to make a table where the balls used in the game will not move properly.
The Method of Construction
Some people say that you need prior woodworking experience before you can start making a pool table. I do not always agree with them because you can hire your friends to assist you as well. Usually, the manufacturers of the pool tables will try to discourage you from making your pool tables.
It is logical because if everyone started to make their own pool tables then their profits will go down substantially. If you follow my guide step by step, you will not need any prior woodwork experience.
- Make a decision on the size of your pool table will be. Will it be half the size, twice or just a fourth of the size of a real pool table? Whatever your decision will be, make sure that all the other parts of the table are made scaled down or up to the dimensions chosen by you.
- Make sure that you purchase good-quality wood. My advice to you is to use solid hardwood.
- Now is the time to make the pockets. Use your saw to make 6 holes. 2 holes should be in the middle of the large side of the wood. The other 4 should be around the endpoints of each long side of the wood.
- Place a border around the pockets by using wood. The big chunks of woodcut earlier should be attached to the larger wooden board by using wood glue. Now, for the bumper.
- We bought 2 tires earlier for use as bumpers. Cut the bumpers according to the dimensions of the wooden part near the pockets.
- Place the bumpers on top of the wood firmly by using a nail gun. Be careful while doing it because if you are not an expert then you can easily damage your fingers.
- Use either plastic or leather-made to make your pockets. Take your hammer and some nails to insert the pockets in the holes. Never try to use the nail gun to insert the nails because I have seen
- that often the nails go in too deep into the wood. This results in severe damage to the playing area.
- If you have managed to come this far, you are very close to 90 percent. You need to have some patience and your new pool table will be up and ready in no time! Now is the time for you to apply the felt.
- Use the nail gun to staple the felt into its place. Do not forget to cut out the parts from the felt meant for the pocket.
- Make the whole table smooth.
- For the final step, use wood glue to attach four pieces of wood below the table at each corner.
That is basically it! you have succeeded in making your own pool table!
Measuring a Pool Table
Here are some tips on how to measure a pool table in the correct way. Remember that you have to measure the pool table in inches. It is not wise to take help from the manufacturers when it comes to measuring. Because there are no standard uses for the measurement of width rails.
For example, if a manufacturer tells you that this table is 8 inches, it is not the right measurement.
It is often a good idea to use a measuring tape to make your own measurements beforehand. Also, remember that all pool tables are measured from one point of the rail cushion to its opposite side.
- The width of the table should be half that of the length.
- Note the area of the pool table by taking measurements from one nose to the other of cushions opposite of each other on the playing surface.
- Find out whether your board has three or one slate. Have a good look below the rails on both sides of the side pocket.
- For a three-piece slate pool table, you will see that there is a separation below the railings
- For single piece tables, there will be no separation.
- To measure the felt, you have to take a measurement from one side rail to the other. For example, a 7 feet board will need 39″ x 78″ size felt.
Leveling a pool table
We are now moving on to the last part of the guide, i.e. how to level a pool table. You will not have to wait for long before you can start making your own table. If you do not level properly, the pool balls will not travel as you expect them to do.
Here are some of my useful tips for you:-
- Buy or ask a friend to lend you a level used by a carpenter. You can also download an app from the Google store to check the level. Put your phone on the surface whose level you want to find out.
- Set the carpenter’s level at the midpoint of the table. For an analog carpenter’s level, there are two bubbles. In case you have a balanced pool table, the bubbles will come in the middle of the device.
- Again use the level to measure the four sides of the pool table.
- Use the cue ball for this part. Just take it in your hand and roll it across the table. If it does not go in a straight line for a few seconds, the level needs to be changed.
You Can Get Some Ideas From this Video. Watch it…